Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Theatre 80 benefit for Mosaic Man Jim Power

Last night was the benefit for Jim Power at Theatre 80..While I can't say it was packed..it was pretty sparsely attended for sure..it was still fun. 3 films were shown, only one of which I caught. It was called What About Me and it was about a girl coming to NYC during the Tompkins riots and becoming homeless..It was kinda great. It had Johnny Thunders in it and Nick Zedd-along with a quick glimpse of Ray's Candy Store around 1990-1 when it was shot. It was very Jim Jarmusch-esque.

Then the bands played and we all had fun..Here's pics of John and I playing..holding up old guns..whee! guns!, Lorcan opening up some wine in an unusual manner, and Jim making a small speech.

Blonde Boy (Jay) Wilson played with his band, one of with Amy, Lorcan and I, more fun with guns, and Purple Pam singing with The Bowery Boys. I didn't get any pics of Bobby Steele but he sounded great. I think a few hundred dollars may have been raised for Jim.

Tomorrow I go to Memphis for the Folk Alliance which should be interesting. Hundreds of bands coming to play in on place in front of music execs in the hopes of getting signed..I'm picturing it something like American Idol where someone with a british accent will tell me I am absolutely dreadful. I'll take some pics down-be back next week!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this is weird, but I helped a friend yesterday who is restoring a '36 Ford, and I had a dream last night that I saw a photo of you and John standing in front of the car displaying guns! I didn't think it was that weird when I woke up because of being around the car yesterday and thinking a while back that you guys should do a photo reminiscent of Bonnie and Clyde...anyway, between seeing the photo on here tonight and getting ready to watch a JIm Jarmusch movie (The Limits of Control), I am beginning to think my fear that the microchip-type lump in my jaw might be more than a delusion...I guess, just as long as I don't wake up on the bandstand at a Chuck-e-Cheese's, dancing naked while singing Def Leppard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me," I suppose there's no real harm...I also thought, in seeing these photos, "oh, no, Eden and John have joined a gang!" But, then, I saw the photo second from the bottom and was relieved to see that you just use your gun as a head scratcher, and John simply uses a gun while he naps, and we all do that!
    Whew!! ...I really like the photos of you and John performing; Theatre 80 looks like a great little place! I also like the photo of the guy using the William S. Burroughs method of opening a bottle of wine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The theatre is truly amazing..there was just hardly anyone there..kiinda a shame for such a nice space..I always wake up outside somewhere doing something weird like changing the oil in my car even though I don't own a car or know how to drive. Is that weird? I thought it happened to everyone! In the name of love..

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn, i totally spaced this. that's too bad that it wasn't better attended. i hope jim didn't feel neglected. what about me was made by my fellow neighborhood parent rachel amadeo. my kid used to play with hers. it's a great time capsule of old east village. now i have to watch it again and look for ray's. good luck in TN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anyone know where to see the films online, or of plans to make them available?

    Point the directors to:

    http://www.snagfilms.com

    ReplyDelete