Monday, October 3, 2011

RIP Bob Arihood.

I don't feel like uploading any pics of my wonderful pal Bob Arihood who had this great BLOG. He inspired me to start my own blog when I showed a bit of interest in it and so I did. And here we are. Bob had a wide array of friends and knew practically everyone out on Avenue A and in Tompkins Square Park which he blogged about daily.
He could talk about anything with anyone and was a kind man with a sharp eye for what is going on in the 'hood. Which he captured with amazing photos on his blog. He died a few days ago while I was in Arizona and I regret that the last time I saw him it was raining and we just waved and ran for shelter. I did speak with him a week or so ago in the park..about the new videos he was starting to put on his site..and about changing technology. He was going to give in and get a cell phone..He was one of those No TV, no Cell Phone people..but not in a condescending way..he simply found the street life on Avenue A more interesting. I agree and I will try to take mpre photos at Ray's and in the park in Bob's honor. I will miss him greatly. This sucks.

8 comments:

  1. Very sad to hear...Through your blog I've been able to peer into a world that is not my world, but it is a world I love to visit. Through your blog I also peek in on other bloggers from the East Village and witness some of the places and events expressed in their words and seen through their camera lenses. To me it is a place of make believe along with many other places in my head; to you and your friends it is a real place rich with people who look out for each other and have a strong sense of community...

    As much as I have very strong opinions about art, between you and me, I'll concede that as I age I realize I know very little about art, or anything else for that matter. I do know, however, that artists are people who produce things that take us away from our selfish selves just long enough to bring us back to our humanity. We become more enlightened, more aware after experiencing what artists create.

    I've never commented on any of the blogs I've visited (other than yours, obviously) by the people in the E.V. (I mean, you sort of know me, at least tolerate my humor in the light in which it was intended anyway.) I don't know how people viewed Bob's work, whether they saw him as a kind of journalist, essayist, or what; In visiting Bob's blog every now and then, I began to see him as an artist, a true artist right down in his soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this totally fucking sucks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tribute, Eden. R.I.P. Bob, I'm glad you never got a cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eden I saw you and Bob together often. You were such a great friend to him.

    His death was such a shock, a sudden loss. None of us got to say goodbye, but Bob leaves us more connected than ever before.

    He shed light on the plight of those less fortunate, and photographed the heck out of the Lower East Side, all of which made Avenue A feel more like home to me.

    Forever in our hearts and minds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your loss, Eden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all..Brett, nicely put. He really was an artist..the LES will not be the same for me now. Very strange to not see him..sort of dreading the memorial today..It will make it very real to me. Still has not sunken in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG. Shit. I discovered your blog and your musique through him. Wow. He did a great service documenting the city and this is hard to believe. Sorry SLum Goddess and best wishes to all his loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I met you through Bob. He introduced me to a lot of interesting people who really care about the East Village community. I am keeping my passion up and taking photos everyday and trying things and seeing more than I did before. I miss Bob and our amazing and interesting chats.

    ReplyDelete