Thursday, March 5, 2009

Virgin gives it up..

I guess the rumors are true and Virgin MegaStore is closing both locations..Times Square AND Union Square...Circuit City is shutting down too..and there is a whisper in the air about Walmart taking over the spot where the MegaWhore once was. That shiteous Kmart on Astor Place is enough. Now there's going to be a freaking Walmart here? I used to read a lot of horror novels and one of my favorite authors Bentley Little wrote this book called The Store. It was about an evil Walmart type place that took over towns and made horrific events transpire. It caused people to commit rape and murder..anyhoo, that's what will probably happen if they open here. I did a shit-ton of research too, yes, a shit-ton, and Virgins closing is DIRECTLY related to them not carrying CD's by East River String Band. This may sound hard to believe, but believe me..after hours and hours of googling my own name and updating my status on FACEBOOK, there is just no doubt in my mind about this. I am a professional when it comes to this internets web thingy, after all.

10 comments:

  1. I think it is a good thing. New York has gone kind of soft anyway more rapes and murders would put us back on the map. I miss the old New York anyway where violence was commonplace and rent was dirt cheap and oh yes drugs were readily and easily available on ever corner. And Walmart could be the start of it all. All praise the Wally World. Hail Satan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 'ill learn em' to not carry the "East River String Band" CD Eden!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not know about the $2.00 special--can afford that!!will check it out-
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First off, love your blog & have been reading it & going back thru the archives ever since I saw something on NMNL that led me over here.

    Now...RE WalMart possibly taking over the Virgin MegaStore space: what would YOU want to see there? Realistically, please - a squat, a free clinic, conversion to low-income housing, etc... aren't going to happen, especially now.

    There are many downsides to WalMart, obvs...just like any giant business. BUT they have the purchasing power to bring their customers quality food & products at affordable prices...like $4 prescriptions. Who else is doing that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would say that the negatives concerning a Walmart opening far outweigh the positives of the cheap prices..Even though I'm usually broke I try and skip the rite-aid on my block when I get prescriptions filled and go to Block Pharmacy, the tiny, neighborhood family pharmacy up the block which Rite-aid has been trying to buy out for years..Those mom and pop places are what makes new york, new york to me. A Walmart in Union Square would put an end to any small business left in that area probably..
    Man, with such a big space like Virgin had- too bad a soup kitchen won't go there-that would solve a lot of problems! Union Square is jam packed with homeless people..
    I think my blog is a little behind though..just read on EVgrieve or somewhere that Walmart isn't taking that space..
    Thanks for loving my blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wal-Mart is definitely taking one of those two spaces.

    And: I don't know if Wal-Mart would overrun the kind of small biz that's in NYC....most of the remaining small businesses are based on the uniquely NY way of living: buying small amounts of things or things that are hard to find elsewhere (niche, high-end, etc...). Most other small businesses were plowed under years ago by places like Rite-Aid, McDonald's, and (ironically) Virgin and Circuit City.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here's the link to the NY post article which states that Walmart passed on that space..

    http://evgrieve.com/search?q=walmart

    Actually it would be amusing if they did take that space..Reverend Billy would have a field day preaching in front of Walmart every day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Long live Reverend Billy!!!!,and down with Walmart and all of the Walton family that own them!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey you!!!! That was quick!!!! Haw!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's a whole blog keeping an eye on Walmart..

    http://walmartwatch.com/blog

    ReplyDelete