Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"KISS LOVES YOU" screening at Anthology Film Archives this Friday.

John's brother Jim Heneghan made a really good documentary about fanatical fans of the group KISS a few years ago called KISS LOVES YOU..This film will be screening at Anthology Film Archives at 32 second Ave this Friday, September 4th at 7:15 pm and also at 9:30 pm. I, myself have never been a huge KISS fan, but you don't have to be to really dig this film! These fans are just so over the top with their love for Ace and Gene..One couple dressing their young kid up in KISS gear..Actually I think John has a pic of himself dressed up like Ace on Halloween or something..I should dig that one up and upload it! Awww..

Anyway, there are familiar faces in this film...Handsome Dick Manitoba is interviewed, along with Dee Snider and Todd Youth from Murphy's Law. Even Ray himself makes an appearance towards the end..You can see Ray make a banana split($2.50 back then) in his store while a guy talks about seeing Gene ALMOST fall down at the reunion show..Haw! Jim lived down the block from Ray's for years and loves Ray, so he had to shoot some footage in there..Ray is LEGEND. Damn, now I want a banana split..(must fight it..fight it...!)

Here is the official email from Jim that he sent out:

Hello Fellow New Yorkers- My documentary film KISS Loves You screens in New York City this Friday at 7:15PM & 9:30PM at Anthology Film Archives (32 Second Avenue New York, NY 10003 – (212) 505-5181). But wait! There is more. I am honored to announce that KISS Loves You will be preceded by two classic shorts, Heavy Metal Parking Lot & Soldiers Under Command (a Stryper Doc). And if that’s not enough to get you to the silver screen, how about a Q&A after each screening by KISS Loves You stars Bill Baker (the Ace Frehley Collector), Dressed TO Kill (KISS Tribute band), John Heneghan (brother of the filmmaker), and Alec Morton (friend of the filmmaker).

Yes, my Johnny will be there for the Q&A! Jim lives in Sweden so he won't make the event..Here are some links to the Anthology Film Theater calendar and a review of the film.

Also the film details

I'm looking forward to this-should be fun!

5 comments:

  1. KISS™ was certainly a phenomenon...I read the review of the film and it was a great review by any standard. The film sounds like a hoot, and with some nuance of irony and social commentary...I think the weirdest thing I ever saw in connection with KISS™ was footage of a tribute band comprised of dwarfs. The second weirdest thing was when the band was on The Mike Douglas Show in '74 or so, and I think it was Totie Fields who opined that under his make-up Simmons was probably a nice Jewish boy. I remember thinking it was funny how all of the guests, including Douglas and Fields, kept tittering as Simmons was trying to put on a menacing and maniacal persona...I reluctantly saw KISS™ in '75, only because I knew a bunch of people who wanted to go but didn't have a way to get there, and I didn't have anything else to do. As an homage to the band's business acumen and devotion to their fans, I had the people I drove pay me $5 each for gas and pay for my ticket. I have to say, the concert was hands down the worst concert I've ever seen (and I've seen some doozies). It was little more than pandering to the lowest common denominator of music fans. The music itself was just awful--except for Ace Frehley--and the "show" was a constant barrage of pyrotechnics that made the air thick with a sulphur smell. Simmons did the blood drip thing from his ginormous tongue. I thought the band lacked genuineness and ingenuity. They mostly strung together cliches of Rock postures; it's pretty bad when a band implores the audience to "put your hands together" after a few notes of the first song. By the second song they were getting the audience to sing the chorus...Ya gotta give 'em credit for taking a marginal idea executed with minimal talent and turning it into a multi-million dollar corporation, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gene seems like the biggest douchebag ever, really..but he sure is a great business man! I would probably go see Mini-Kiss which is probably the band of "little people" you saw..I used to love Van Halen and Def Lep back in the day..and I still do kinda like them I have to admit..But I just never got into KISS..This film is fascinating because the fans are just so crazy! Such idol worship...I used to sort of feel that way about GWAR until they yelled at me for walking into their dressing room with my friend while they were all naked..They didn't seem happy about this for some reason..True story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA HA HA HA HA! I love the GWAR Story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, I know, sorry, I shouldn't have used the term "dwarfs"...I guess I just blanked a little in my self-consciousness and desire to be sensitive; I was trying so hard NOT to say "midgets" I--once again--stuck my foot in my mouth...I promise, next time, and from now on, I will call dwarfs "little people"...Have fun tonight! I'll rent the film when it comes out on DVD because I do like indie documentaries like this, and it sounds very well done...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goddamn you you midget loving dwarf!

    ReplyDelete