Saturday, June 5, 2010

Beware of Dizzy Dames and Spanish Handkerchief Pyramid Scemes!

Well, a friend of mine got this from some booth that some cops had set up to warn people about scammers, thieves, and rogues. It seems like women are often used as bait to lure innocents into handing over their money..I love this flyer! It looks like it is from the 1930's or something..those awesome monopoly cartoons..showing how some dizzy dames are scheming to steal from you! The Fortune Teller scheme..She DOES have wondeful powers! She told me so! Why would she LIE?

The handkerchief scheme and yes, the SPANISH handkerchief scheme! Is there no end to the evil doers out there?

The Phony Cop..The Bank Scheme..Beware seamen! Man, I'm never talking to anyone ever again.BE AFRAID!!!

Gotta go, some guy in Africa is going to make me rich after I give him all my money!

7 comments:

  1. Wow....it's hard to believe that these obvious scams are still going on. They date back to the 1910s - 1930s at least....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a variation on this to people posing as bank examiners so I can get free hamburgers from them; I say I will gladly pay the bank examiner Tuesday for money for a hamburger today!

    My experience has been the diametric opposite of what the literature seems to suggest; I find people posing as bank examiners to be quite gullible, particularly I think because needing loans for hamburgers seems so plausible, so it's not completely their fault!

    I think I'm gonna try borrowing money from people and say it's because I need a Spanish handkerchief! All of your better handkerchiefs do come from Spain, after all, so I think this will make sense to the unsuspecting dupe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha..I used to quote that hamburger thing all the time. Plus, I would have gotten away with my Spanish handkerchief switch if it weren't for those meddling kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no! I just re-read this...fortune tellers are scam artists!?!?! I guess those lottery numbers aren't going to make me rich like the fortune teller said!?!?!?!? Man, what a gyp!! It's just not fair that I am not rich!!! And that damn fortune teller told me I would BE rich by next week!!! At least I've got friends...awh, fuck, who am I kidding, I'd rather be rich! I mean, shit, you can BUY friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought all MY friends with food stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were they really handing this out? That handkerchief scam is how they started the movie The Sting with Robert Redford.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Way cool. Carlo Gambino, who rose to the pinnacle of the American Mafia was arrested in the 1930s for the Handkerchief Switch, though back in the 30s they called the Handkerchief and Pill Game for some reason.... thanks, Eden....

    ReplyDelete